Header Ads

Word Classes/ Parts of Speech- English - Lecture no-3

Subject: English
Subject Code: HUM 4101
Topic: Word Classes/Parts of Speech- Lecture No-3
Lecturer: Md. Arif Moinuddin Chy

Word Classes/ Parts of Speech


Man 1 : Hey, would you like to go for dinner tonight?
Man 2: I’m very sorry. I have an important exam at the University tomorrow; so, I think I should study tonight.

Man 1: Mate, You look upset. Forget about her.
Mate: Thank you, Rob. I’m trying… oh, I’m going to see my old friends at Dhaka on Saturday. Would you like to come with me?  

Man 1: Hi Jess, I’m looking for you… Can I borrow your book for  today, please?
Man 2: Oh, hi… umm… I’m not sure. I think I need the book. Sorry. I can give you tomorrow. 

“I have an important exam at the University tomorrow; so, I think I should study tonight.”
What Kind of Words are in this sentence?
Noun
Pronoun
Verb
Adverb
Preposition
Adjective/ qualifying word
Conjunction/ Linking word
Article/ Determiner
Interjection

Task I
Andrew didn't go to the cafe with the other students. Rachel told him they were going there, but he wanted to finish his work. Andrew isn't very sociable. He stays in his room and concentrates totally on his studies. He's an excellent student, but he doesn't have much fun.
1 the………………………….  9 and …………………….
2 told…………………………  10 totally …………………….
3 they……………………….   11 an ………………………
4 there …………………….    12 excellent …………
5 he …………………………    13 but ……………………
6 finish ……………………     14 fun …………………..
7 sociable ......................
8 in ………………………
                    to    --    preposition           café   -- noun 

Task - ii
Henry thinks Claire is wonderful. He loves her madly, and he dreams of marrying her, but unfortunately he is rather old for her. Today they are at a cafe with their friends Sarah and Mark, so Henry can't get romantic with Claire. But he might buy her some flowers later.
Noun
Pronoun, Verb. Adverb
Preposition, Adjective/ qualifying word
Conjunction/ Linking word, Article/ Determiner
Interjection

Task - iii
Is the word in bold a verb, a noun or an adjective?
 Shall we go for a walk?      noun
 Shall we walk into town?    Verb
1 Laura wanted to talk to Rita.
2 Laura wanted a talk with Rita.
3 The windows aren't very clean.
4 Doesn't anyone clean the windows?
5 We went to a fabulous show in New York.
6 Laura wanted to show Rita her photos.
7 Henry thought Claire looked beautiful.
8 A strange thought came into Emma's head.
9 Sarah is feeling quite tired now.
10 Studying all night had tired Andrew out.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. CONTACT PILECAP

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.