Header Ads

Future Tense- Tense - Lecture part-3- English

Subject: English
Subject Code: HUM 4101
Topic: Future Tense and Tense Part-3
Lecturer: Md. Arif Moinuddin Chy

A: He will come.
N: He won’t come.
Q: Will he come? 

No Plan; an ‘on the spot’ decision: The phone is ringing; I’ll answer it!
Examples:
Hold on. I'll get a pen.
We will see what we can do to help you.
Maybe we'll stay in and watch television tonight.
To predict about the future: I think Real Madrid will win the league.
• Thoughts, Promises, threats,..etc
Examples:
I think I'll go to the gym tomorrow.
I think I will have a holiday next year.
I don't think I'll buy that car.
 
Time Expressions: in an hour, next month, soon, tomorrow, in the future probably, perhaps, possibly, surely

A: He is going to run.
N: He is not going to run.
Q: Is he going to run? 

  
üA planned action for the near or remote future, an intention to do something in the future.
-When I grow up I am going to be a doctor.

üA prediction based on present evidence. -Be careful! You’re going to fall!
Time Expressions:
in one year, next week, tomorrow, in a few weeks, on the 7th of June

Exercise : Instant decisions
Say what your decision is in these situations, or what you offer to do.
Use these verbs: answer, carry, have, post, shut
► You and your friend have come into the room. The window is open, and it is cold. -- I’ll shut the window.
1 The phone is ringing. You are the nearest person to it.
2 The choice on the menu is fish or chicken. You hate fish.
3 You are meeting a friend at the station. He has two suitcases. There's a bag, too.
4 Your friend has written a letter. You are going to walk into town past the post office.

Read the conversations between Rachel and Andrew
Rachel: Would you like to come to our party tomorrow, Andrew?
Andrew: Er, thanks for the invitation, but I've got lots of work at the moment. I'll be working all day tomorrow.
Rachel: You won't be working on Saturday evening, surely. Come on, Andrew, take a break. We'll be starting at about ten o'clock.


A: He will be speaking.
N: He won’t be speaking.
Q: Will he be speaking? 
We use the future continuous for an action over a period of time.
It means that at some time in the future we will be in the middle of an action.
To express an action that is going on at a certain time in the future: we’ll be visiting London next week
 
Examples:
· I will be playing tennis at 10am tomorrow.
· They won't be watching TV at 9pm tonight.
· What will you be doing at 10pm tonight?
· What will you be doing when I arrive?
· She will not be sleeping when you telephone her.
· We'll be having dinner when the film starts.
· Take your umbrella. It will be raining when you return.
At this time tomorrow, in one year, next week, tomorrow

Complete the conversation. Put in a pronoun and the future continuous form of the verb.
Daniel: I'm going to go into business when I leave college. Five years from now (►) I'll be running (I / run) a big company. I expect (1)……………………….. (I / earn) lots of money.
Vicky: I don't know what (2)………………………… (I / do). What about you, Natasha? What (3).............. (you / do), do you think?
Natasha: I'm too lazy to do any work. I intend to marry someone very rich. (4)………………. (I / give) dinner parties all the time. We'll have a cook (5)………........ (who / do) all the work, of course. And you'll both get invitations.
Vicky: You're joking, aren't you, Natasha? I expect (6)…………..(you / play) in an orchestra. That's what you really want to do, isn't it?


A: He will have spoken.
N: He will not have spoken.
Q: Will he have spoken?

To express an action that will be finished at a certain time in the future. It is normally used with a time expression beginning with by: By the end of next week we will have finished all his exams.
· The train will leave the station at 9am. You will arrive at the station at 9.15am. When you arrive, the train will have left.
Look at some more examples:
· You can call me at work at 8am. I will have arrived at the office by 8.
· They will be tired when they arrive. They will not have slept for a long time.
· "Mary won't be at home when you arrive."
"Really? Where will she have gone?" 
Time Expressions: by Monday, by then, by that time, in a week

Paul wants to be an artist. He's reading about a famous artist called Winston Plummer. Winston Plummer was a great artist, who had a wonderful career. He won lots of prizes before he was twenty. By the age of twenty-five he had had his own exhibition. He was the subject of a TV documentary by the time he was thirty. By the age of thirty-five he had become world-famous. He made millions of pounds from his pictures before he was forty.
Paul is daydreaming about his own future career. What is he thinking?
► I hope I’ll have won lots of prizes before I'm twenty.
1 Perhaps …………………….... my own exhibition by the age of twenty-five.
2 I wonder if ..................................... by the time I'm thirty.
3 Maybe ………………………………….by the age of thirty-five.
4 I hope ............................................................ by the age of forty.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.