Header Ads

Present Tense - Tense - English - Lecture

Subject: English
Subject Code: HUM 4101
Topic: Presen Tense
Lecturer: Md. Arif Moinuddin Chy


A conversation between two friends…


John: Hello Mark.
Mark: Hi, John. What’s up, mate?
John: umm… are you free now?
Mark: Yea… a kind of… why?
John: err.. I am just thinking about going out now. What do you think?
Mark: Now? What do you mean NOW? Well, You know I usually  stay at home in the evening.
John: Yeeeeea, I know that… come on, mate… I’m not gonna get time tomorrow.
Mark: hmm… Okay, just wait… I am now playing an online video game. let me finish it.
John: Wow, cool. What’s that?
Mark: ‘Two Dumb Friends Fooling Around’.
John: What? You are kidding? Alright, mate. See you soon.
A conversation between a teacher and a student…
T: Can you pass me your Geography book, please?
S: Here you go, sir.[ Handing the book]
T: hmm… why are these blank? what about the answers to these questions?
S: I’m sorry. I have not written the answers. But I have finished the essay.
T: OK fine, but why haven’t you finished the answers?
S: I haven’t got time to finish those.
T: What?.... Haven’t got time? Why?
S: I have been watching ‘Star Jalsha’ for 6 hours. So I didn’t get time. Sorry, sir.

Let’s have a look at some sentences
I usually stay at home in the evening.
I am now playing an online video game.
But I have finished the essay.
I have been watching  ‘Star Jalsha’ for 6 hours.



Use
üthoughts and feelings: I think so, I like it.
üstates, things staying the same, facts and things that are true for a long time: We live in our house.
ürepeated actions: We come here every week.
üin phrases like I promise, I agree, etc: I promise I'll pay you back.
üin a negative question with why to make a
suggestion: Why don't we go out?
üFor the future meaning of the present simple:
The new term starts next week.




USE
üTo mean in the middle of an action.
-I'm waiting for the train. (I'm at the station now.) I'm getting the lunch ready. (I'm in the kitchen now.)

üTo mean in the middle of something but not actually doing it at the moment of speaking.
-I must get back to the office. We're working on a new project.
-I'm quite busy these days. I'm doing a course at uni.

We can use the present continuous when things are changing over a long period.
-The number of cars on the road is increasing. The earth is slowly getting warmer.
For the future meaning of the present continuous.
- I'm playing chess with Matthew tomorrow.



üthings happened in the past but having a result in the present:
We've washed the dishes. (They're clean now.)
The aircraft has landed. (It's on the ground now.)
We've eaten all the eggs. (There aren't any left.) They've learnt the words. (They know the words.)
üThese words takes Present Perfect :In recent years , already, ever, just, never, yet, not yet, so far, till now, up to now, recently.
Most people have already gone home.



üan action running over a period of time and still running up to the present. The action is still going on…
We've been waiting here for twenty minutes. (We're waiting now.)
üto talk about repeated actions up to now.
Natasha has been playing the piano since she was four.
These words In recent years , already, ever, just, never, yet, not yet, so far, till now, up to now, recently 




To Read Fully You Have to Download This Lecture 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.